Disclaimer:

The contents of this page, and all links appearing on this page, do not represent the positions, views, or intents of the U.S. Government, or the United States Peace Corps.

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Mom and Dad visit the middle of the world!



I hardly know where to begin because these last few weeks have been so trying, busy, and exciting! I certainly continue to feel the roller coaster of emotions, as the training staff guaranteed us in training.

Two weeks ago there was a little incident and I ended up moving out of my house and into the subcentro. Sadly, Pablo accepted a job at a different subcentro, but it is lucky for me because there was then an open room I could move into. It was a tough few days because my family didn’t want me to move, it was difficult to explain to them the move, and I had to readjust to a new place. My room in the subcentro is very quaint and cute, now nicely organized and ready to live in. I have a bathroom right next door, and there is a communal kitchen that I can now cook my own food in. Thanks to Mom and Dad, I have a toaster oven I am bringing back with me, so there are a lot of plans for baking and cooking delicious food that I miss! Little Cora is SO happy at the subcentro because we keep the gate closed and she can ran around the fenced in area all day. There is also another dog that likes to hang about, so they play and frolic together for hours on end! Everything happened just a few days before Mom and Dad came, so I haven’t gotten used to it yet, but I’m ready to go back to Zhoray, settle in, and live peacefully with my pup at the subcentro.

Mom and Dad just left after a fantastic 10 day visit in Ecuador. I met them in Cuenca last Monday, where we explored a little of the gorgeous city, hiked in Cajas National Park, went to some surrounding little towns, and hung out with some of the other PCVs. The weather was beautiful and I think they loved being around all the brilliant flowers and hummingbirds, especially when we saw that Boulder got 24 inches of snow!

From Cuenca we ventured into the campo of Zhoray, which was quite the experience for them. It was so great to finally show them everything I try to explain during phone calls and emails. It can never fully be explained until it is experienced in person, so now they have a good sense of what my life is like in Zhoray. We spent a lot of time with my host family, ate way too much food (resulting in stomach sickness…), hiked around the area, went to a waterfall, and had some quality dog training time J. It was a great 3 nights, but I think we were all ready to head to Quito come Sunday.

In Quito we stayed at a lovely old hotel in the historic district that was more like a museum with so many old paintings and artifact type things. The historic district has nice old buildings and incredible churches. On Monday we went to the Presidential Palace where we got to see the changing of the guards ceremony, which was very elaborate, patriotic and fun to see. The president and VP were both there that day, so they came out onto the balcony to greet the crowd, which was a neat tradition. After the changing of the guards, we went and climbed the Basilica, which I have now done 3 times and don’t get sick of! There is a great view of the entire city from the top of the towers, and the inside stonework is amazing. That night we got to meet up with Mercy to visit the Panecillo, statue of the virgin, then go for a delicious dinner.

On Tuesday, my Mom gave a talk on public health and the environment at a university just outside of Quito. A lot of people attended (including several Peace Corps staff/volunteers), and the overall presentation was great! We got to have lunch with Mercy before she had another meeting, then we went to the Peace Corps office. They got to see the office, meet much of the staff, and we got a lot of things worked out.

We got up early on Wednesday to go to “Mitad del Mundo” with Katrina, which is the site of the equator, the “middle of the world.” It was a fun little touristy activity and we took lots of pics before bussing back into Quito. Mom and I explored the artisan market, avoiding the torrential downpour, then we were able to have dinner with Mercy once more.

I am now in the Cuenca airport using a little internet before I go pick up Cora and head back to Zhoray. Mom and Dad left at 5:30am this morning, which was hard. I already miss them, but it was an incredible time with them here and I feel ready to go back to the campo and continue working. Work began picking up the week before they came, so I think I will start being more productive now.

We are in Carnaval season so I will be trying to stay warm by avoiding water balloons, but I guess it still isn’t as cold as in CO! I hope you are all surviving and enjoying the snow!

Ciao,

Kerry

 Lake at Cajas National Park

 Waterfall at Monay in Sangay National Park


 Walking the grand-baby Cora in Zhoray


 Basilica in Quito


 Cora definitely isn't spoiled or well loved....


 Panecillo in Quito


The Mitad Del Mundo

1 comment:

  1. oh dear Kerry! I just LOVED reading about your time with fam!!! I am sorry to hear you had to move out of your house. I can't imagine...but happy to hear you have your little poochie to keep you grounded. I think of you often and admire how brave and strong you are to do this work. Much love. Mary Barr

    ReplyDelete